Places That Pay You to Live There

Places that pay you

Have you every wanted to move to a new country or city but didn’t want to take the financial risk?  Well here are some places that pay you to live there.

Saskatchewan, Canada

Saskatchewan grad students have been receiving up to 20,000 Canadian dollars in the form of tuition reimbursements since 2010. This is an initiative to attract and retain college graduates. Students may be paid over a period of ten years, in the form of a non-refundable tax credit. If you’re considering Canada for college, check out if your universities of choice are on the list of preapproved institutions.

Niagara Falls, New York

Everyone wants to see the Niagara Falls at least once in their lifetime. If you live in this region, located right at the border between Canada and the United States, you can pay off your student loans while you’re at it. In order to qualify you have to agree to live in specific neighbourhoods. The city will pay you up to $7,000 over the course of a two-year residency at the local college.

Harmony, Minnesota

Harmony is a lovely little town in Minnesota. There is one problem however. There are not enough move-in ready homes here. Since 2014, anyone who moves there and builds a home will be offered a cash rebate of up to $12,000 to cover cost of construction. So, if you’ve been considering moving to a new place, now’s your chance. The program has no age, income or residency restrictions!

Baltimore, Maryland

This lovely city once had a population of nearly 1 million. In the year 2000 however the population started depleting. The government would like to draw more people back to the city and is offering home ownership incentives to people. Buying in Baltimore pays a limited number of people $5,000 for the purpose of buying a new home in the city. Some conditions do apply. One must attend a Buying into Baltimore event. A program called Vacants to Value, is willing to give people up to $10,000 to purchase formerly vacant and newly renovated houses. Some programs are also available for those with low incomes.

Hawaii, USA

This program is a little different as it is not an initiative undertaken by the administration of Hawaii. A tech start-up by the name of Zapier, is offering those living around the San Francisco Bay Area an opportunity to move. If you are a techie looking for a new job and are living in the region, this is your chance. You can get paid up to $10,000 to relocate to Hawaii!

Kaitangata, New Zealand

Kaitangata is a very small town in New Zealand, with a population of about 800 people. This place, will not literally hand you cash to live there, but they will offer you several monetary and other benefits. Any newcomers coming to Kaitangata may receive a home and land package worth NZ $230,000, as well as several jobs in and around the town. Those interested need to be patient however. Kaitangata has been inundated with requests from people all over the world.

Yukon, Canada

The Yukon is a popular tourist destination. The province runs the Agriculture Land Program, under which a person may obtain land for agricultural purposes. In order to qualify, you must have Canadian citizenship or permanent residency, be over 19 years old, and to have lived in Yukon for at least one year. Oh, and you must be willing to deal with the province’s harsh winters.


The Chilean government started a program in 2010 called Start-up Chile. They pay entrepreneurs to run start-ups in their country. The objective is to turn Chile into the entrepreneurship hub of Latin America. Approximately 230 companies are selected on an annual basis. If you’re one of the chosen ones, you may be given up to $84,000 to start your new business there.

Alaska, USA

The fact is that Alaska residents have been getting paid to live there since 1976. Over 40 years ago, The Permanent Fund Dividend was established. A varying amount from this fund is distributee to the people every year. This money which is paid comes from investment earnings of mineral royalties. On average Alaskans may receive over $2,072 per year. To become eligible you to have been a resident for at least a year, not be a convicted felon or be absent from the state for a period of more than 190 days.

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

ExpatsWorld Contact us. We're here to help you!